Thursday, September 17, 2009

On becoming holy...

Our American "can-do" "instant-gratification" "self-made-man" mentality teaches us that we should be able to accomplish anything we want with hard work and a bit of time. Thus, in our spiritual lives we want to become holy in one month or maybe even in one day. But don’t ask too much from yourself. Instead ask the Holy Spirit...work with Him. God will inspire you to holiness at the right moment. Be ready. Be open. Keep your heart open. Remember, holiness is not your doing only. Most is the work of the Holy Spirit. Follow His time and not yours. Your will is strong, but be prudent and allow room for the Holy Spirit. Let God work in you. Don’t try to do it all yourself.
~ Reflections following spiritual direction today

1 comment:

  1. Ya know you are right...it's the society we live in that makes IF hard to contend with. We are taught to believe that if we keep "trying"...something will happen or we'll succeed...I've learned...only if it's God's will. I think I need to invite the Holy Spirit more into my life. I could use all the help I can get. Blessings

    ReplyDelete