Saturday, August 1, 2009

Suzy's first post...Home on the couch

Hi everyone, we are finally home and I have taken up residence on the couch in the living room.

Just a few minutes ago I was able to read the blog posts that Dave had added while I was in the hospital. I am so grateful to him for keeping everyone informed and am thankful to all of you for your prayers.

We ended up leaving the hospital around 3pm on Thursday. I then spent the rest of the afternoon/evening/night in bed trying to get comfortable and learn how to roll over without causes horrific pain. At this point, it still takes two! (so thankful for Dave). Friday morning we met with Dr. Parker at 9am. He said that everything looked great and he showed me pictures of my innards. That was so cool! It really amazes me how much he was able to do in just the 3+ hours I was in surgery. I am so grateful to him and for his expertise and for his ministry as a doctor. He seems optimistic that things will continue to improve and has set out a game plan for us to continue following...and then he cleared me to travel home.

The trip back to South Bend took almost 8 hours because we had to stop about every hour so that I could get up and move to avoid getting blood clots in my legs. It seems like I would just get comfortable and then we would have to stop. I have also determined that Indiana roads STINK in comparison to Ohio roads...even with Dad trying to avoid them, I think my abdomen felt every single differentiation in the road...the only thing that made it better were the high powered pain meds. Even though the trip was very uncomfortable, I was loopy pretty much the entire time and thus was passed out for a good deal of the trip.

And now we are back at home. I'm finding it difficult to be home...wanting to get back into my old routine of self-sufficiency, but yet not being able to. I barely made it upstairs last night, but after significant effort, was able to do so. So, I think that I'll be spending days on the main floor and nights up in our seems to be the best chances for being comfortable.

Besides the physical pain, today has been a fairly emotional day. I think it's fairly normal to get emotional after a traumatic experience like this, but it certainly isn't making things easier. I have a lot of reflections going on in my mind and hopefully I'll be able to make sense of them and work through them soon. In the meantime, I thank you for your prayers for physical and emotional recovery, and that I would be able to carry each cross that comes my way with grace.

St. Gianna Molla, pray for us.

1 comment:

  1. So glad that you are back in your home and able to recover there!!!! Make sure you rest a lot and try not to swing back into your routine to soon!!!! Love and prayers!!!